Yes! The rumors are true: You can have your cake and eat it too! Literally. What better time to explore the sights, smells, and tastes that this beautiful city has to offer, than during the Taste of Chicago? Not only can you consume more types of food than you ever thought possible, but you can also fuel up while discovering what makes Chicago one of the most wonderful cities in the world. After you’ve devoured your turkey leg and marveled in the glory of ice cream, sausages, and Chicago-style pizza, segue into the tourist aspect of the city. Here in Chicago, however, walking just won’t cut it. Sure, the city is set on a grid, so navigation shouldn’t be much of an issue. Why walk, though, when you can Segway! There’s nothing better than wheeling around the city on a piece of machinery made just for locals and tourists (and mall cops of course). Trust me. The best part? You don’t have to travel far. After spending your morning on Columbus Drive scarfing down plates upon plates of food, simply exit the gates on Monroe. You are now standing at the doorstep of Absolutely Chicago Segway Tours.
Perhaps you’ve seen them. They’re the tours with the gliders grinning from ear to ear donning the latest line of brilliant orange helmets. They’re the tours with the gliders raving about how much fun they had and how wonderful the guides are. Segways, especially by Absolutely Chicago, are a must-do in the city. Now that you’ve eaten to your heart’s content and glided in style around this dazzling city, you can officially said you’ve conquered the city. And that is something worth celebrating. What better way to celebrate than with an Absolutely Chicago Segway tour?
Summer is winding down. That doesn’t slow down the city of Chicago, though – it’s still buzzing with all kinds of festivals and activities. Here are some great ways to enjoy Chicago during the month of September!
- Sample from over 345 wines from around the world at The Windy City Wine Festival on Sept 8 and 9 at Buckingham Fountain. This festival is all about wine, food, music, and friends. Learn about new varieties of wine while enjoying live music, cooking demonstrations and great food from some of Chicago’s best restaurants.
- Fall is always a great time to celebrate Oktoberfest, whether you’re in Germany or right here in Chicago! The 28th Annual Berghoff’s Oktoberfest is Sept 11-13 and has something for everyone. With free daily admission from 11 AM to 9 PM, you can enjoy live German musical performances and great German food and beer. A VIP Experience, complete with an all-you-can-eat-and-drink buffet and bar, is also available for a fee and offers a fun experience for group gatherings and office outings.
- The FREE World Festival Chicago 2013 takes place Sept 12-22 and features several musical artists at different locations throughout the city. Presented by the City of Chicago and produced by the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events, this city-wide, multi-venue, eleven-day festival has attracted over 600,000 concertgoers and has presented more than 600 artists and ensembles from over 80 countries since it began in 1999.
- Riotfest is held Sept 13-15 and provides an affordable outdoor punk, rock and alternative music at Humboldt Park featuring bands such as Fall Out Boy, Blink-182, and The Replacements. You can even create your own personal lineup!
- The International Exposition of Contemporary & Modern Art offers museum-quality curated art and design by 120 exhibitors and is held Sept 19-22 at Navy Pier. Also known as Expo Chicago, this event has established itself as a preeminent art fair and cultural destination with art from over 125 leading international galleries representing 17 countries in 36 cities.
- And finally, Chicago Gourmet will be held Sept 27-29 in Millennium Park. This premium food and wine event features over 100 of Chicago’s finest chefs, along with hundreds of renowned vintners, spirit makers, and premium breweries from around the world. Attendees can enjoy live cooking demonstrations, expert seminars, beer and food pavilions, and wine tastings.
Take advantage of all of these great festivals and many others in Chicago during the month of September! Hope to see you around town!